BIND Version

Yu Kobayashi koba at isl.hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Tue Nov 14 02:01:26 UTC 2000

  Hello. My name is Yu Kobayashi. I'm a graduate student at
Hiroshima University. I'm currently an associate UNIX
administrator in my laboratory.
  One day our lab teacher told us, an administrator and
myself, to check the version of BIND we're using right
now. So I have checked most of the archives and tried to
run the commands to see the BIND version. However, the
commands like "dig", "in.named -version", "in.named -v"
don't work at all. So I tried other ways.
  Here is what I have tried so far:

1) pisces[5]# what in.named
in.named:
        db_dump.c 1.10 89/02/14 SMI
        db_load.c 1.13 89/02/14 SMI
        db_lookup.c 1.9 88/05/03 SMI
        db_reload.c 1.12 88/05/03 SMI
        db_save.c 1.9 88/05/03 SMI
        db_update.c 1.9 89/02/14 SMI
        ns_forw.c 1.15 94/06/16 SMI
        ns_init.c 1.13 89/02/14 SMI
         Copyright (c) 1986 Regents of the University of California.
        ns_main.c 1.19 94/06/16 SMI
        ns_maint.c 1.13 89/02/22 SMI
        ns_req.c 1.14 89/02/14 SMI
        ns_resp.c 1.18 89/02/14 SMI
        ns_sort.c 1.9 89/02/22 SMI
        version.c 1.5 88/05/03 SMI
        strcasecmp.c 1.5 88/02/08 SMI

O.K. I guess the version of BIND is very old, possibly
older than 4.9.3. But what are those numbers like 1.10,
1.13, and so on? Are they important numbers to figure
out the BIND version?

I have also tried this:

2) pisces[7]# strings in.named | less
@(#)version.c 1.5 88/05/03 SMI
SMI 4.1
res_mkquery(%d, %s, %d, %d)
%s.%s

Here I saw the number 4.1, and our operating system is
SunOS 4.1.4-JLE1.1.4. So I'm thinking that SMI 4.1 is
related to the BIND version.

  Here is a question. Is number 4.1 is the BIND version
we are using, or is there a better way to figure out which
version of BIND we are using?
  By the way, nslookup didn't work, either...

--
 Yu Kobayashi
 koba at isl.hiroshima-u.ac.jp
 http://www.ann.hi-ho.ne.jp/y-kob/