authoritative or not?

beetle bailey mrking01 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 14 16:57:27 UTC 2000

doing a dig against our master nameserver for an soa record for one of our
subdomains came back w/the authoritative bit off and i'm wondering why.
here's a bit of named.conf:

directory "/named";

zone "subdomain.test.com" {
        type master;
        file "tmp/com.test.subdomain";
};

and here's the beginning of the zone file in /named/tmp:

$ORIGIN test.com.
subdomain            IN      SOA     ns.test.com. root.subdomain.test.com. (
2000111300 3600 3600 24000 14000 )

<followed by various ns, mx, and a records>

i thought that if i dig against ns.test.com i should get a response with the
authoritative bit set, but that's not happening.  can someone explain that
for me?  thanks.