bind newbie - nsupdate

Anthony Ryan Mattke tonhe at ims1.imagestream-is.com
Thu Nov 16 02:30:55 UTC 2000

First off, I'm rather new to Bind, running named 8.2.2-P5.

I'm curious about dynamic DNS and nsupdate.. I bought O'Reilly's DNS &
Bind book and looked through the breif section on nsupdate.

So I setup my zone in named.conf

zone "iphere.com" {
        type master;
        file "db.iphere";
        allow-update { 192.168.0.1; 127.0.0.1; };
};

and did an ndc reload...

from what i saw in the book, it appeared that this would work.

atoi:~# nsupdate
> update add test.iphere.com. 333 in a 192.168.0.99

atoi:~#

in db.iphere thre is no CNAME or A entry for 'test'
but when i try to resolve that name, it fails to find it.

What am I missing here ?

Thanks in advance,

 __
~/ony

PS Sorry if you got this message twice.
I wasnt sure if it got sent out the first time...

#include".sig"

Anthony Ryan Mattke
- Imagestream Internet Solutions
- http://www.imagestream-is.com/