round-robin

malaci at hotmail.com malaci at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 16 14:02:47 UTC 2000

    Hi!

    I hope you guys could give an answer to the following question.
Let's consider the following case.
    I would like to have a DNS-based load-sharing mechanism by setting
up several IP addresses for one host name in the DNS database and
letting BIND return a circularly rotated list of IP addresses for each
new query. The resolver will select only the first IP address from the
list got in the response and use that address. It doesn't matter how
efficient can this be, what I'm really curious about is:
    If anyway my resolver always uses only the first address from the
received list, then in order to make the IP packets carrying the DNS
only the first (or first n) IP address(es) from its the circularly
rotated address list?

                                        Thanks and best regards:
                                                    Laszlo Martonossy