Does named use multithreading?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Nov 16 19:30:09 UTC 2000

On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 08:10:13PM +0100, Christophe Deleuze wrote:
> Bind9 is multi-threaded, bind8 is not.  Multi-threading can help handle a
> large rate of requests if the machine has several processors.  On a single
> CPU machine, I don't think it can impact performance significantly.

Sure it can.  You're thinking of numeric computations, I suspect.  With
DNS, each thread processing a request that is not locally filled will
spend most of its time in a wait state, waiting for a remote server to
answer it.  Much better to have these all waiting in parallel than to
wait for one to be filled, then read the next query.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B