Using an Oracle database within BIND 9.0.0.

David R. Conrad david.conrad at nominum.com
Fri Nov 17 19:06:33 UTC 2000

Hi,

At 12:49 PM 11/17/2000 +0000, network_noadle wrote:
>My employers are about to launch a set of major web/mail hosting
>services. The problem we have is scaling. We have been told that BIND 8
>doesn't scale well past 6000 zones, and our sales predictions are for
>10000 new zones per month.

Verisign (nee NSI) is using BIND (version 8.1.2) for .COM.  Last I heard,
.COM has over 32 million zones.

All root nameservers use BIND (various versions of BIND 8).

>Our current plan is to modify BIND such that the initialisation
>procedure skips the reading of the zone files and opens a connection to
>the external database.

BIND 9.1 will include a simplified database (SDB) interface with an example
Postgres/SQL driver.  The driver is, last I checked, a couple of hundred
lines of C.  It probably won't take that much to write an Oracle
driver.  An alternative approach would be to create an alternative database
backend that replaces the rbtdb backend, but this is a non-trivial exercise.

9.1 is scheduled to go into beta test "soon" (we're targeting 12/1).

Rgds,
-drc