SRV records from a W2000 server onto a Unix box?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Nov 20 16:32:14 UTC 2000

    Jeremy> I'm adding entries from a DNS server (a Windows2000
    Jeremy> server) to our main DNS server (a solaris 2.6 Sun box) but
    Jeremy> I'm getting the following errors:

    Jeremy> line 55: Unknown tyrp: SRV.
    Jeremy> line 55: database format error (SRV)

    Jeremy> line 55 reads: "_ldap._tcp.WAYNEGRAHAM.COM. 600 IN SRV 0 100 389 rb.WAYNEGRAHAM.COM."

    Jeremy> I'm getting this for every line of the file that has an
    Jeremy> SRV entry.

    Jeremy> Any clues?

The SRV record you showed is syntactically correct. I would have
thought the error messages above were clear enough. Your name server
does not understand or recognise the SRV record type. This means it is
ancient. Support for SRV records was even provided in BIND4.9.7 which
has pretty much been dead for a couple of years now. Upgrade. Get the
current version from www.isc.org or ask Mr. Sun to provide their
latest DNS patch for your OS.