Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Nov 21 22:30:23 UTC 2000

Philip Forst wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I am using bind-8.2.2P5 on a Compaq Proliant 1600R server with Mandrake 7=
> =2E1 as
> the OS.
>
> I have set up bind as a caching only server, with forwarders, as outlined=
>  in
> the latest DNS-HOWTO.  I get the "proper" response when using nslookup.  =
> For
> example, nslookup to a place (say cnn.com) that I've been to previoulsy w=
> ill
> return a "non-authoritative" answer with the usual IP address. So, I know=
>  that
> it is going to the master or secondary name servers in another state and
> caching the answers.   A straight "nslookup" returns 127.0.0.1 as the def=
> ault
> nameserver.
>
> I am running dhcp on the  network and list three nameservers in the
> configuration file.  The caching only server is listed as the first name
> server to go to.  The issue is when a dhcp client logs onto the network. =
>  If I
> run "winipcfg" from the Win95/98 client, the IP address of the caching on=
> ly
> server is not listed as the DNS server.  The first DNS server listed in t=
> he
> "forwarders" list of named.conf is listed as the DNS server.  =

winipcfg only shows the "global" nameservers, doesn't it? The nameservers
that are learnt via DHCP are I think specific to a particular network
"connection" and I don't think winipcfg shows them.

> My question:  Is it typical behavior that Windows clients are not listing=
>  the
> caching only server as thier DNS server?  If not, what could be causing t=
> his
> problem?
>
> P.S.  Even though I am getting the "proper" responses with nslookup, usin=
> "/etc/rc.d/init.d/named status" on the command line yields several commen=
> ts
> including "bind is not loading configuration file."  My next step is to t=
> ry
> listing the caching only server as the only DNS server on a Win95/98 clie=
> nt
> that uses a static address.  =

That's just a misleading status message. Read it as "nameserver
IS DONE loading its configuration". Makes more sense that way.