Slave Configuration

Colin Stefani colins at pro2net.com
Wed Nov 22 15:38:55 UTC 2000

Sorry to hear you're leaving the Land of Unix :-)

Anyway, I think you might have to do some reading to make this one work out
for you in the end. One important detail missing in your note here is how is
it not working? Can clients not query it? or is it not able to do zone
x-fers from the primary?

DNS servers really like to have an internet connection availible for doing
root server look ups and reverse lookups. I would get that machine connected
and see what happens. How is it able to contact the master server if it's
not connected to the internet? If it cannot, that could cause problems also.

Regardless, in terms of configuration, you will want to have that salve
server's name/ip address appear is every zone files it's going to be a
secondary for as an NS record, so for example in the heading of the zone
file (e.g. a zone file called mydomain.com) would look like this, with
ns2.mydomain.com being the slave and ns1 being master:

@       SOA     ns1.mydomain.com. root.mydomain.com. (
                2000101701
                10800                   ; Refresh after 3 hours
                3600                    ; Retry after 1 hour
                604800                  ; Expire after 1 week
                86400 )                 ; Minimum TTL of 1 day
@       NS      ns1.mydomain.com.
        NS      ns2.mydomain.com.
        A       192.168.123.123
        MX      5 mx1.mydomain.com.
        MX      50 mx2mydomain.com.

If the NEW secondary is not listed in the Master's zone file for the domain
you are trying to x-fer, then it will not recieve updates from the master.

Next, check both sides "named.conf" files (on the master and the new
secondary). In the Master's .conf file, make sure there are no zoen x-fer
restrictions set that only allow the current slaves to transfer zone files.
In the slave's conf file check to make sure that the zones you are trying to
transfer are listed similar to this:

zone "mydomain.com" {
        type slave;
        file "mydomain.com";
        masters { 192.169.123.121; };
};

Where the masters entry lists the master DNS server's ip address you are
trying to pull zone files from. If this isn't listed, the secondary will
assume it's not authoritative for that zone and won't accept an update or
try to go get the new zone file when started.

I don't know how bind on NT logs, but that would be the best place to start.
I would check the event log/ text log it creates and see what errors have
arisen. I imagine you'll find a bunch of info relating to your problem.

hope it helps somewhat,

colin.s