Sysquery Errors

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Nov 22 19:40:00 UTC 2000

    >> I have seen this error in the archives and the only response I
    >> have seen is that you must find out why the root server is not
    >> responding.  The error looks like this:
    >> Nov 20 07:38:23 hqdns1 named[6418]: sysquery: no addrs found for root NS (svr006.tcs.treas.gov)
    >> Nov 20 07:38:23 hqdns1 named[6418]: sysquery: no addrs found for root NS (svr015.tcs.treas.gov)
    >> Nov 20 07:38:23 hqdns1 named[6418]: ns_req: no address for root server
    >> Nov 20 07:38:23 hqdns1 named[6418]: sysquery: no addrs found for root NS ()

    >> I am running on an intranet and my DNS is master to the
    >> domain. The root servers are for resolving inside of the
    >> intranet.  Please help. Thank you.

It looks like you've not set up your internal root zone correctly.
The name server is complaining that it can't find a root server. The
reason for that is there's probably no A records (glue) for the NS
records you've announced for the root zone. Add A records for
svr006.tcs.treas.gov and svr015.tcs.treas.gov to your internal root
zone, assuming these are the names of your internal root servers given
by your root zone's NS records.

Also, make sure your internal root servers are master or slave for the
root zone. Master is preferable as root zones tend to require special
administration rather than routine reloading and zone transfers. Your
root servers should not have a zone{} statement of type hint for ".".

If you're still stuck, post your root zone file, as-is: no pretty
printing or stupid mail user agent reformatting.