HOSTING AT HOME

zz at rockstone.com zz at rockstone.com
Sun Nov 26 18:59:07 UTC 2000

> >   Keep your connection constantly on, then virtually you get an
> >   static ip address. It won't change unless you change your machine
> >   netbios name and renew the dhcp.
> >   Try to send a ping outside at home ip address, that will keeps
> >   the routers remember the routing path.
>
>     Total bullshit. Some IP's will renew the IP, traffic or no traffic.
>     Sometimes 'renew' means the same IP, sometimes it doesn't. You can't
>     rely on it.

Arrogant tone is often an indicator of ignorance or stupidness.
The trick is to make the dhcp always keep the same leased ip address the
client machine. That means client machine has to stop dhcp re-negotiation
request to the server once an initial lease is obtained.  If you keep the
traffic activity, the dhcp server will have to treat that leased ip is
already occupied on the LAN, if the dhcp server is configured properly
for avoiding ip conflicts. Thus the ip is not to assign to another machine.
thus effectively not expire the original ip lease.
Netbios name is equivelent to host name under a domain.

>     The issue in this case was that he wants to buy an IP that doesn't
>     belong to his ISP. No way that works.

why buy an useless, meaningless, ip address while his ISP will likely
refuse route it, when he can achieve his goal in a more simple effective
way?

> 	Igmar

--KAA08645.975264976/mail.rockstone.com--