Linux DNS - A general note on Linux Distributions

Donald R. Laster Jr. laster at monmouth.com
Mon Nov 27 01:13:32 UTC 2000

In General -

  As a matter of policy it is a good idea to identify the Linux
Distribution when talking about a particular distribution.  There is
no Linux 7.0, the latest linux kernal is 2.2.x and the next release
is 2.4.  The linux distribution from Redhat is 7.0 (may have a 7.1)
and from Slackware is 7.1 and is different from other
distributions.  They all to my knowledge use one of the 2.2.x
kernels as a base but are packaged with different software above and
beyond the Linux kernel itself.  Unless one is talking about the
kernel one should refer to the distribution name and version.  For
people who are new to the Linux world it will eliminate a lot of
unneeded confusion.  Redhat, Slackware, Debian, SUSE,  etc. are not
Linux, they are distributions that use Linux as the base operating
system.

                                       Donald R. Laster Jr.

Donald R. Laster Jr.                  laster at monmouth.com
DOT4 Inc.                             dlaster at dot4.com
P.O. Box 519                          laster at garban.com
West Long Branch, NJ 07764-0519

Phones: (732) 263-9235 (Evening)      (732) 263-9236 (Office)
        (212) 815-6880 (NYC/Garban)   (732) 263-9280 (Fax)