Can I have two name server for one domain ?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Nov 27 23:02:21 UTC 2000

On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 09:01:14PM +0100, Morten Hansen wrote:
> It is a setup around a firewall with one name server on the inside and one
> in the outside. All computer have the same domain name - lets call it
> test.com - but on on different nets. The inside net is 172.16.0.0 and the
> outside is a real Internet subnet.
>
> Can I have one name server on the inside subnet controlling names on the
> inside subnet and one name server on the outside controlling names on the
> outside ?
>
> The inside name server is configured with the outside name server in it's
> "IN NS" records, but I cannot look up my outside hosts. Is this ment to be
> or is there a setting in BIND which can solve this problem ?
>
> Morten

This is done so often that there is a name for it - "split DNS".

Each server is authoritiative.  That means that it has ALL of the
information for the domain, so of course it will NOT look to any other
server for that information!  This includes looking from the inside
server to the outside server.

If both inside and outside have a lot of records, and you want the
outside ones also known inside, it's best to make them separate
domains (i.e., one a subdomain of the other).  If the outside domain
only has a few records, you could just copy or include them into your
internal domain file.

Hope this helps.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B