bind question

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Tue Nov 28 15:56:54 UTC 2000

> Yes you can do this....
>=20
> place an open "A" record after the zone info (just after the serials)

You mean after the SOA record.. Don't try putting it into the SOA
record !

> portion of your zonefile so it looks like this:
>=20
>        A     192.168.1.1
>=20
> This would go where you declare the NS & MX hosts for the zone. The
> difference between this and a normal A record is that there is no host
> declaration in the first column. It's a way to say that 'if no host is
> specified in a query, then return this address'. So in a browser a =
user
> might put something like this:

Not quite right. This specifies an A record with the owner =
(left-hand-side)
of @ (which translates to the domainnameif you put it right after the =
SOA
record, before other hosts. If you put this record bwlos any other host
(or subdomain) declaration, the blank at the beginning of the line =
translates
to the last defined LHS.

There is no notion of 'if there is no host specified in a query', as =
hostnames
and domainnames are the same thing to DNS, it cannot distinguish whether =
the third
level is a hostname, or another (sub-)domain or whether domain.com is =
just a single
host in the .com domain (possible, see www.sg as an example).
In effect, are defining an address record for 'domain.net', whether that =
name names
a host or domain (or like here both) is of no interest to DNS.

All that said, I'm not sure that this is what Stephane asked about.

STephane, would you care explaining a bit, and if possible giving the
real name of your domain and server, and what exactly you want to =
achieve?

thanks
Mathias