Old whois data - cannot purge

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Wed Nov 29 00:06:45 UTC 2000

> After literally months of getting nowhere, I would be grateful if anyone
> could shed any light on this.
>
> We have a DNS server, dns0.doc.ic.ac.uk, which shows up in whois
> records. Example:
>
> (using RH Linux 6.2)
> dimebar% /usr/bin/fwhois dns0.doc.ic.ac.uk
> [whois.crsnic.net]
>
> Whois Server Version 1.3
>
> Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
> with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
> for detailed information.
>
>    Server Name: DNS0.DOC.IC.AC.UK
>    IP Address: 146.169.2.2
>    Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
>    Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
>    Referral URL: www.networksolutions.com
>

> This entry is years out of date, and I'd like to fix or remove it.
> However, I can't find who takes responsibility for this data. JANET, who
> run .ac.uk, disclaim all knowledge.

	The answer is staring you in the face.  NETWORK SOLUTIONS is the
	registrar responible for this entry in the whois database.  You
	need to submit a host change/delete form via NETWORK SOLUTIONS.

> - Why do DNS servers appear in whois?

	Because it is the administive database for the COM, NET, ORG and
	EDU gtld's amongst other things.  The contents of these zones are
	derived from it.

> - Who holds my data?
>
> This isn't an urgent problem, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Phil

	Mark
--