problems starting named

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Nov 30 02:13:21 UTC 2000

MAPCorp wrote:

> I'm using OpenBSD 2.7
>
> when I start named I get the following error.
>
>  1998   root at localhost:/usr/src/usr.sbin/named/named/obj
> Nov  8 01:07:27 mart named[3376]: directory /namedb: No such file or
> directory
> Nov  8 01:07:27 mart named[3376]: directory /namedb: No such file or
> directory
>
> In none of my configuration files have a reference to /namedb

Are you absolutely sure of that? Maybe if you're accustomed to using a
BIND 4-based named, you aren't aware that BIND 8's config file is called
/etc/named.conf instead of /etc/named.boot. Or maybe the rc script
specifies a different config file on named's command line.

Another, less likely possibility is that OpenBSD's port of BIND supplies
a default directory of /namedb if you don't specify one in named.conf.
You could check this by doing a "strings" on the named binary and seeing
if "/namedb" is in there.