re install

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Nov 30 12:28:25 UTC 2000

    Gwanghee> dea all, I have used bind 8-2-2.

    Gwanghee> I upgraded bind 9, today.  I guess installing was OK.

    Gwanghee> However, if I check my bind version, my system use bind
    Gwanghee> 8.  How do I change to new version.

    Gwanghee> After installing, I did
    Gwanghee> kill -TERM < named PID >
    Gwanghee> ndc start

    Gwanghee> but still use bind 8.

BIND8's ndc does not work with BIND9. You have to start a BIND9 server
by hand or explicitly invoke it at boot time. When you ran "ndc start",
ndc will have ended up exec()ing whatever executable called named was
found first in your search path. Look like that happened to be a BIND8
server.

A BIND9 server is managed with rndc, which is distributed with
BIND9. However the current version of rndc has very little
functionality: it can only reload the server. This will be improved in
later BIND9 releases.

BTW, you should get out of the habit of using signals to control the
name server. Use either ndc (BIND8) in channel mode or rndc with
BIND9.