Hyphen in domain name

Farid Hamjavar hamjavar at unm.edu
Mon Oct 2 20:12:31 UTC 2000

On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Ashish Kumar Batwara wrote:

> Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 11:38:11 -0700
> From: Ashish Kumar Batwara <akbatwara at mirapoint.com>
> To: bind-users at isc.org
> Subject: Hyphen in domain name
>
> Hello,
> Could anybody tell me that Windows NT DNS server is able to resolve the
> hyphen in domain names???
> I hv some domains with hyphen in the domain name... When i m trying to
> send mails to the user in those domain, it is trying , but after some
> time.. it is saying that Max. number of trials reached & mails get
> bounce back.....

What ,perhaps, that message ("Max. number of trials reached")
means is that max number of hops has been reached.
I am talking about udp or tcp TTL values in
any operating system. You may want to run traceroute
against the destination to which you're trying to send email
to see if it goes ok.

http://www.switch.ch/docs/ttl_default.html

Farid