DNS dying

Guillermo Villasana Cardoza terius at villasana.com.mx
Wed Oct 4 15:30:59 UTC 2000

Jim Reid wrote:

>     Guillermo> I know the -- MARK -- is from syslog... but after the
>     Guillermo> last query made... the dns died. The times it has died
>     Guillermo> the last query is a points to a CNAME or a Lame server
>     Guillermo> error...
>
> The logs you provided do not really give any proof of what you said is
> happening. They tell us that your server found a mangled MX record at
> 07:03:31 on Oct 3rd, but they do not show when or even if the name
> server died. And there's no indication from the logs you showed that
> your name server getting a query or reply that caused it to fall
> over. Or in fact any problem that caused a catastophic failure.
>
> The name server is unlikely to die because of a lame delegation or a
> CNAME target of an MX record. These are *very* common errors and if
> they caused name servers to die, the Internet would be a very
> different place because huge numbers of name servers would be
> continually falling over. OTOH if these configuration errors did make
> name servers die, maybe they wouldn't occur so often?

I suspected as much...

>     Guillermo> How can I see what is making it really die?
>
> The name server should print a message in the system logs if it
> encounters a fatal error: like running out of memory or being unable
> to set up sockets on port 53. Check all your system log files. What
> version of BIND are you running and what OS is it running on? Maybe
> you're running a version that's got a security hole and someone is
> exploiting that hole? If you think that your server is being attacked,
> you could turn on query logging and see for sure what the last query
> was before the server died. As a last resort, you could also run the
> name server with debugging turned up high and wade through the
> megaybtes of trace/debug messages.

I searched all my logs and I got no error in them.

> You also said that the name server was working fine until a few days
> ago. What has changed since the server ran normally? Could you have
> applied a patch that changed or zapped a shared system library? The
> most recent change(s) to your system will be the most likely
> explanation for the problem.

Well no upgrade was made in this last few days...I'm also thinking it is
some sort of attack, but the logs doesn't show that either... No strange
activity in cron, nor unusual telnets or ftps.

I  will turn up the debugging on the DNS.
I am running a Linux Mandrake 7.0 with Bind 8.2.1

Thanks again