Domain name resolution?

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Thu Oct 5 01:07:21 UTC 2000

> We have an intranet with a DNS server. It is a slave that=20
> forwards Internet
> queries. Obviously it does internal name resolution.
>=20
> Our registered domain name is xyz.com which we use this internally =
also.
>=20
> Now I want our DNS server to respond with an internal IP address when
> someone pings xyz.com, as, for example, if I ping yahoo.com while on =
the
> net.

Is xyz.com=3Dyahoo.com?
No? Then did you mean 'as opposed to if I ping yahoo.com'?

Or do you want to return an internal IP address for *any* outside query
practically isolating your network from ur internal users?

Or only for a (few) specific outside  sites?

If you could be a bit more explicit in your description, it will be
easier to help you.

regards

>=20
> My questions at last: is this a referral our DNS server can make? If =
so
> which rr do I use?
>=20
> And after my reading, I don't recall, how are domain names resolved to =
ip
> addresses as opposed to host names.

There is no difference between domainnames and hostnames in the DNS (for =
resolution
purposes).=20