Need help with named.conf

Greg Roberts (IT) gregr at telequity.com.au
Thu Oct 5 09:11:42 UTC 2000

Hi all. I have a question with regards to name lookup's between two
networks and the way I should configure our own primary DNS server.
Here's the situation:

There's two networks, network A and network B. I'm on network A. On our
primary DNS server for network A, we have all the zone/rev files setup
to answer queries for our network. This all works well. We also have
entries for some of network B's systems. Namely, two rev files for two
of their subnet's.

On network B, they have a copy of our zone file and all the rev files
for all our subnet's. We don't like this and we want to change the way
this works to the following:

If I run nslookup on a host in network A and query a host that belongs
to network B, I need to know how to setup our primary DNS to just talk
to network B's DNS server for the answer. Not to keep db files on our
server, just to talk to network B's DNS server for the answer.
Conversly, if I'm on a host on network B, and I'm looking up the name of
a host on network A, I need to know how to reconfigure their DNS server
so it just asks our DNS server for the answer. I need to remove all
instances of zone/rev files on their DNS server, so all they have left
is the zone/rev files for their network and that's all.

So what I'm after is what to put into named.conf on both servers, and
any other files I may need to edit to get this all to work.

Thanks,

Greg Roberts

Systems Administrator
Telequity Pty. Ltd.