QMail and DNS

James Raftery james-bind-users at domainregistry.ie
Thu Oct 5 20:29:39 UTC 2000

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 08:46:31PM +0200, Johnny Damtoft wrote:
> Domain must resolve
>
> Is that something that the DNS server is responsible for? Or is it just that
> damn Qmail thingy?

"damn qmail"? I quite like it :) Anyways...

Without seeing the exact error message I'm guessing it's a message
you're getting from remote mail servers when you try to deliver mail to
them. Either;

 - The SMTP envelope sender domain doesn't resolve. This is the address
   bounce messages would be sent to. Some mail servers won't accept mail
   that they can't bounce at a later stage if they need to. To fix this,
   you probably need to change the configuration of your email client.

 - The fqdn supplied as part of the SMTP HELO command doesn't resolve.
   In qmail terms, this means you put a domain that doesn't resolve into
   /var/qmail/control/me, or /var/qmail/control/helohost if it exists.

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)  -  Programmer Hostmaster  -  IE TLD Hostmaster
   IE Domain Registry  -  www.domainregistry.ie  -  (+353 1) 706 2375