nslookup fails on first try, help!

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Oct 7 00:44:45 UTC 2000

Presumably named is still initializing when you issue the first query; are
you querying it before the "Ready to answer queries" message is written to
the log?

As for why it would take a long time to initialize, I can only guess. Lots
of zones? Perhaps the "priming" query to the root servers is taking a long
time for some reason? Maybe it can't talk to the root servers AT ALL??? You
probably have to look more closely at the logs, or possibly even turn on
debugging, to find out what the slowdown is.

- Kevin