Getting message "Too Many Hops"

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Wed Oct 11 02:29:59 UTC 2000

It might be a wrong DNS configuration, but that is unlikely
(more likely is abad mail system configuration).
	-> you may have to ask (with more detail) in a mail-related forum
	like comp.mail.misc or similar..

What seems to be happening is that mail bounces between two (or loops
among three or more) servers instead of being finally delivered.
One of the mailservers will refuse to further process the mail if it =
detects that
it has travelled more than a certai number of hops (I seem to remember =
18
as the common limit). This is to prevent mail looping for ever.

You should be able to identify the systems involved in the loop from the
headers of the mail, if the mailer that stopped it accurately quotes the =
complete
mail...

But we can't say much more here without more details:
	- what domain/email addresses are involved?
	- what are your nameservers (name, ip addresses etc)
	- which are your mailservers

regards