Missing A record for NS record prevents AXFR?

Mikael Forsberg mikaelforsberg at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 11 22:50:05 UTC 2000

Hi,

Using bind 8.2.2.P5 on NT and had problems with failing AXFRs.

The master have one zone with ~8000 entries the slave is just
installed and started for the first time, but failed to fetch the
zone data from its master.

The slave tried every 10th minute during many days but failed with
the same reason every time.

I also tried it manually, taken from the log, with

named-xfer.exe -z test.se -f db.test.se -i db.test.se.ixfr.tmp -C 1 -P 7184
-T test.se.323 -d 10 -l xfer.ddt -t xfer.trace 192.168.87.23 axfr

The transfer fails at the same place every time as long as I have the
debug level intact. If changed, either at the master or named-xfer,
then is the transfer stopped at a new record.

I tried to recompile named-xfer with NETREAD_BROKEN defined but that
did not help.

The last lines in xfer.ddt.axxxx is

print_output: dname name.test.se type 1 class 1 ttl 43200
close(128) succeeded
error receiving zone transfer

and in xfer.trace
name.test.se.  12H IN A  192.168.87.23

No indication found in the master or slave logfiles.

Thanks in advice for any help.

Regards

Mikael