looking for opinions

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Oct 11 23:34:51 UTC 2000

named needs to talk to root servers, even if it is configured in forward-only mode
(it will try to talk to the root servers _through_ the forwarders in that
configuration). It needs this because it needs good nameserver data for the root
domain. The "hints" in the hints file aren't a substitute for the actual root
NS data, they're just used to *get* the real root NS data.

Perhaps what you should do is run named with a special "disconnected" configuration
when you are not connected. The "disconnected" configuration would have no
forwarders and an internal root zone, so named would never try to contact any other
nameservers with that configuration. When you connect to the Internet, restart
named with the normal, "connected" configuration.

You may not want to use a forwarder at all, if you have full Internet access when
you are connected. If the forwarder has information relevant to your query at the
time you ask it, then yes, you'll probably get the answer faster. But if the
forwarder *doesn't* have enough information to answer your question immediately, it
has to go out and fetch all or part of the answer, then return it to you. This is
likely to be even slower than just getting the answer yourself. There are a lot of
variables involved here, so I would experiment to see if forwarding is gaining you
any performance benefits. If you don't have full Internet connectivity, then
forwarding may be your only option of course.

The /etc/resolv.conf on the Linux firewall should probably be set to point to your
internal nameserver, so that the firewall can resolve both internal and external
names.

Is there some particular reason why you don't just run BIND on the Linux
firewall? You could use ACL's to prevent external clients from querying your
internal domain...

- Kevin