delegation a zone to another nameserver

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Oct 13 21:17:22 UTC 2000

Wilhelm Grundner wrote:

> hello,
>
> i'm running 'bind-8.2.2_P3-0.5.2' and 'bind-8.2.2_P3-1'
> for linux redhat on the two dns-servers concerned.

Upgrading to BIND 8.2.2 patchlevel 5 is strongly recommended by ISC.

> i've got the following problem:
>
> my machine is 'edvvie1.debis.edvg.co.at' and i'm delegating
> everything under net '10.95.x.x' to the server 'ns1.ams.or.at'
> using the wildcard '*'.
>
> now comes the strange part - a resolve to 10.95.4.30 works
> fine - but only ONCE !!!
>
> when i'm explicitly delegating '10.95.4.' whitout a wildcard
> it works fine.
>
> i also wonder why '10.95.4.30' doesn't show up in my cache
> once it's been successfully resolved.

Hmmm... The only thing I can think of is that when named is deciding whether or not
to cache the contents of the response, it's matching the wildcard in the parent zone
when it checks to see if it already has the entry, and since it is master for that
zone, it considers the phantom entry more "credible" and therefore doesn't cache the
response.

If true, this strikes me as a bug.

> btw: what does ';Cl=4' in my cache mean - or where can i get
> info's on that - couldn't find any at o'reillys or 'www.acmebw.com'.

"Cl" stands for "Credibility Level". Cl=4 means, I think, that the data comes
straight from an authoritative zone -- the highest-credibility data there is.