telnet on a nameserver on a port ??

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Oct 16 19:02:41 UTC 2000

A telnet to port 53 should connect, but, whether it does or not, it
doesn't prove much of anything.

You might be better off capturing the packet data using a sniffer, and
verifying that the HP box is a) actually sending the packets to the
machine you think it is, b) properly constructing the packets, and c)
that the connection (if you are using TCP for some reason) is failing in
a "normal" way, e.g. client sends SYN, server returns RST. By the way,
are you specifically forcing the use of TCP via the RES_USEVC option?
ECONNREFUSED doesn't make a lot of sense for UDP, which is
connectionless. If you are forcing TCP, try not doing so.

- Kevin