named died

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Mon Oct 16 22:40:46 UTC 2000

> Thanks Mark,
>
> The thing is very wried to me:
>
> 1) Two machines are using the same configurations (both hardware and
> software), indeeded one is "clone" from another one.
> 2) only one machines' named behave such a restarting problem. Another dns
> server can up 30 days without problem.
> 3) Other than the abnormal named, the whole machine can up for 30 days.
>
> BTW, both machines are using Pentium 200MHz, BSDI4.1 and BIND8.2.2p5
>
> Any hints for troubleshooting?

	File a bug report w/ BSDI.  4.1 is known to return bad time from
	gettimeofday(), tv_sec is out of range.  BIND 8.2.3 has tests
	immediately after the gettimeofday and these are sometimes
	triggered under 4.1.

	This also appears to be related to the usage of NTP.
	Is it a fast or slow clock that triggers this?  See the drift file.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com