Propagation of DNS Changes

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Tue Oct 17 01:37:14 UTC 2000

> I don't have a parent nameserver. At least, not one I'm aware of. I

Sure you have. If your domain is "somedomain.com.au", then
"com.au" is your parent domain (and its nameservers your parent
nameservers, ie those holding the delegation to for your domain).
If ever you change the nameservers for your domain, you will need to
inform your parent to change the delegation too.

> have several secondaries/slaves, and they have all been updated with
> the new/correct ftp address. I say this because the log files show the
> transfers as taking place when I restart the named demon.

SO what is the problem? Care to show the output that you consider wrong?

>=20
> Also, it wasn't the address of the >>nameserver<< I changed, it was
> the address of the box handling >>ftp<< requests.

Ok, so there is no concern with updating your parent in this case.