Subdomains of in-add.arpa domains

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Oct 17 19:53:31 UTC 2000

You don't have to create a zone for each address if you don't want to. If you have a whole /24
address range (or larger), or if you're only using this internally, then just create the
CCC.BBB.AAA.in-addr.arpa zone(s) and put all of the PTR records in it.

If you have a range smaller than /24 and you want to manage the PTR's and have them be
resolvable on the Internet, then your provider either has to a) delegate each address as a zone
to your servers, or b) create an alias for each address, pointing to PTR's in a zone you control
(see RFC 2317 for a general idea of how this is done). For more details, look at the archives of
this newsgroup/list. I posted a more detailed explanation of "classless delegation" just
yesterday.

- Kevin