BIND 8 and Windows 2000 DNS

Scott Taylor staylor at coloradomusic.com
Wed Oct 18 20:39:24 UTC 2000

What we've been doing is leaving our root domain (whatever.com) running on
BIND on unix. This is where our externally announced addresses, mailservers,
webservers, etc. are registered. All Active Directory information is in a
lower level (AD.whatever.com) which gets delegated to the root of the active
directory forest on a 2000 server.. So, 2000 gets its own playground and is
free to make _msdcs.AD.whatever.com and the like without affecting the real
DNS of the company. I am also rejecting updates on my primary server that
come from the 2000 box to force it to be well-behaved. It does periodically
try to push changes up the tree, perhaps just trying to delegate additional
servers for the 'AD' subdomain. In any case, blocking these updates works
quite nicely for me and keeps my primary DNS far cleaner than the 2000 DNS
which does *not* have good garbage collection...