syslog and bind

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Oct 20 22:51:43 UTC 2000

named needs to bind to port 53, which is in the reserved range, so it needs
superuser access.

You seem a little confused about how syslog works. named can't tell syslog
"write this message to file X". named can only send messages to syslog, with a
certain "facility" and "severity", and syslog then decides, based on those
values and its configuration (usually syslog.conf) whether or not to write the
message to a file, and if so, what file.

If you want to direct named's logging output to files in the absence of being
able to configure syslog to do so, then I wouldn't use syslog at all. Just
configure named to write to the files directly. That should actually be a more
efficient way to do things anyway.

- Kevin