When are the zone files written??

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Oct 24 17:37:58 UTC 2000

I think you have a deeper problem than just the frequency of zonefile dumps;
the entries shouldn't be "disappearing" from the master server *ever* unless
someone actually deletes them. Are they "disappeared" if you query them
directly from the master server after the TTL interval? Or are you just doing
non-recursive queries (or nameserver dumps) from some other nameserver? In the
latter case, it's not surprising that the other server doesn't have the entry
once it's expired from its cache. That's the way it's supposed to work. What
really matters is that the entries still exist on the master, so that other
nameservers can resolve them if necessary.

If the entries are "disappearing" from the master, someone is almost certainly
deleting them. You may want to turn up the logging on Dynamic Updates to see
who is doing that.

- Kevin

P.S. Hope you had a good Volksfest.