Internal and external DNS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Oct 25 23:37:41 UTC 2000

NS records aren't used for "redirect"ing in the way you describe. They just
provide ways for nameservers to find other nameservers which can answer a
particular query. A regular desktop client doesn't use NS records implicitly
for resolving queries.

Sounds like you need to implement the classic "split DNS" where you duplicate
your external-only names into your internal DNS zone so that internal clients
can resolve those names in addition to the internal ones. I know all too well
that this is a pain. One idea would be to automate this by periodically
zone-transferring your external zone(s) and then merging its/their contents
into the internal zone(s). Me? Since I actually control both internal and
external DNS, I just make all changes for external names in both places
(external updates are manual now, but I plan to automate this as I switch over
all of my maintenance systems to Dynamic Update).

- Kevin