DNS packet querry

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Oct 26 21:24:24 UTC 2000

/etc/hosts has nothing to do with DNS.

If you want to control how your machine's name resolves in DNS, then you need to be master for whatever zone contains that name. Depending on how your namespace is structured, this may mean
that you have to create a master zone for just that name. Doing only this will fool your own box and any clients pointed to it, but if you want to control that name in such a way that
*everyone* sees your data, then you have to be delegated the zone from its parent, which means talking to your site's DNS administrators, as I recommended in a previous message.

                                                                                                                                - Kevin