named crashing with too many open files

Ben Stern bstern at digex.net
Fri Oct 27 20:10:38 UTC 2000

I'm running bind-8.2.2p5 on Solaris 7, and I've increased the number of
per-process files to 1024, with the line
set rlim_fd_cur=1024
in /etc/system, and I even told bind to limit itself to 512 files with
options {
  files 512;
};
but named keeps running out of file handles:

Oct 27 16:05:40 foo.baz.org named[537]: db_load could not open: root.cache: Too many open files
along with "Resource temporarily unavailable" and the like.

After a while, named crashes.

Turning the file limit in named.conf down to 32 didn't help, BTW.

The last time this happened, I blamed hardware, and replaced the box, but
that was 2 months ago, and now the same thing is happening.

Does anyone have any advice?

This is not a production nameserver, but it's hosting a massive quantity of
zones for test purposes (and massive here means totalling more than 30
thousand), both primary and secondary.

Thanks in advance,
Ben Stern