BIND 9, res_* APIs, and existing apps

Kenneth Porter shiva at well.com
Sat Oct 28 01:44:47 UTC 2000

The BIND 9 page has the following paragraph:

>BIND 9.0.0 is primarily a name server software distribution. In addition
>to the name server, it also includes a new lightweight stub resolver
>library and associated resolver daemon that fully support forward and
>reverse lookups of both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. This library is still
>considered experimental and is not a complete replacement for the BIND 8
>resolver library. In particular, applications that use the BIND 8 res_*
>functions to perform DNS queries or dynamic updates still need to be
>linked against the BIND 8 libraries.

What effect will this have on my Red Hat 6.1 system running 8.2.2? Do I need to
worry about existing apps linked to a shared library that will be yanked out
from under them when I upgrade? How can I tell which apps will be affected? Are
there any utilities that can scan a set of executables for references to these
APIs?