DNS Servers

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Oct 30 22:54:10 UTC 2000

Pete Sackett wrote:

> I have a domain name, olddomain.org,
> an associated website at www.olddomain.org with an IP address of
> 123.456.789.0
> that is hosted by abc hosting, inc.
>
> I have since obtained a new domain name, newdomain.com,
> am setting up a new website at www.newdomain.com with an IP address
> 234.567.890.1
> that is hosted and being designed by pdq hosting, inc.
>
> My question is, what do I need to do to get all traffic pointed at the old
> website to be redirected to the new website?

In DNS terms, you could just make www.olddomain.org an alias for
www.newdomain.com. But this isn't "redirection". If that's what you really
want, you'd have to configure the www.olddomain.org webserver to do it.

Getting all of the bookmarked entries changed is another matter. There's no
automatic way to do it. You just have to intercept all HTTP requests to the
old name (perhaps you could get your new hosting company to define a virtual
server for this), show a "we have moved" page, so that the users will
manually update their bookmarks.

By the way, if you're using SSL on your website, you'll probably have to get
another SSL certificate for the new webserver, since they are based on
DNS names.