Resolving local host names

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Oct 31 02:45:29 UTC 2000

Tacking domains onto the end of a name in an attempt to guess what the
fully-qualified name is, is generally considered the function of
resolvers, not nameservers. Have you tried defining "fakedomain" as the
default domain for all of the clients (I believe this is referred to as
a "domain suffix" in WinTelLand)?

I hesitate to even mention this, but... If you're on a completely
isolated network with NO HOPE of ever having Internet connectivity, then
you could throw these names into an internal root zone. But this is
obviously not very scalable, is likely to lead to naming conflicts if
you grow beyond a trivial size, and mostly defeats the purpose of using
DNS at all (why not just replicate hosts files in that case?).

- Kevin