Subdomain Problem

Mitchell Krog mitchellk at allafrica.co.za
Tue Oct 31 23:03:56 UTC 2000

Hi All

Hope someone can help me out here.
I seem to have problems adding host names under a
main domain. The adding is not a problem but sometimes
it takes forever or sometimes not at all for the new addition to
be seen from elsewhere on the internet. We are running 8.2.2p5.

A sample of how the domain is config'd:

$TTL	43200
$ORIGIN com.
domainname		IN	SOA	me.mydomain.com. dns.mydomain.com. (
			2000103101 	; serial
			7200 		; refresh
			1200 		; retry
			604800	; expire
			86400 )	; default_ttl
		IN	NS	ns1.domain.com.
		IN	NS	ns2.domain.com.
		IN	MX	10	mx.domain.com.
;
$ORIGIN domainname.com.
localhost	IN	A	127.0.0.1
www		IN	A	111.111.111.111
www2		IN	A	111.111.111.112
www3		IN	A	111.111.111.113
subdomain	IN	A	111.111.111.114
subdomain2	IN	A	111.111.111.115
www4		IN	A	111.111.111.116
mx		IN	A	111.111.111.117
mail		IN	A	111.111.111.118
sales		IN	A	111.111.111.119

I have about 40 subdomains already which all work fine
but when I add new ones it takes a long time or sometimes not all for the
domains to be seen. I have checked the obvious like syntax errors and
correct serial etc but this one has me stumped. I have reduced TTL's and
expiries to try but that didn't help either so I have restored those to my
defaults.

Any help or suggestions is much appreciated.

Regards
Mitch