slave to slave zone transfer

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Sep 1 02:06:03 UTC 2000

Well, I'm still confused. You're still mixing hostnames and zone names when you
say things like "cisko.com defines usa.cisko.com & uk.cisco.com has its slave
in the named.conf". Zones don't have things "in the named.conf", servers do.

All I can say -- which I think just repeats what Joe already told you -- is
that delegations have *nothing*to*do* with whether one server slaves from
another. This is something you have to configure in the relevant servers'
named.conf files *explicitly*.

As for "cisko.com" being in the hints file, I assume you mean that there is an
A record on your intranet called "cisko.com" and that that server happens to be
authoritative for your internal root and is therefore included in the hints
file used by other nameservers. This too has nothing to do with whether any of
your servers slave from each other. You have to configure master/slave
relationships in the named.conf file(s) -- at least a "slave" zone definition
in the slave server's named.conf, and possibly also an addition to the
"allow-transfer" clause in the "master" zone definition in the master server's
named.conf, if you're restricting zone transfers.

- Kevin