ARGH! response to localhost, no response to remote hosts

Mark Drummond mark.drummond at rmc.ca
Fri Sep 1 02:34:42 UTC 2000

Kevin Darcy wrote:

> No, it's inconsistent because the NS set your server is giving out
> doesn't match the delegation NS set. Naughty, naughty.

But nslookup returns the delegation set. Therefore the TLD servers must
not be consistent since an nslookup from my machine at work returns:

> newzletter.com
Server:  sparky1.rmc.ca
Address:  137.94.0.10

Non-authoritative answer:
newzletter.com  nameserver = NS.newzletter.com
newzletter.com  nameserver = ROCKWELL.CANLINK.COM

NS.newzletter.com       internet address = 205.210.79.193
ROCKWELL.CANLINK.COM    internet address = 216.13.90.50

while the same lookup from here at home returns:

> newzletter.com
Server:  dhcp2.cgocable.net
Address:  24.226.1.42

Non-authoritative answer:
newzletter.com  nameserver = rockwell.canlink.com

rockwell.canlink.com    internet address = 216.13.90.50

Well, those are cached answers so perhaps I am wrong there, though I
don't see how my DNS servers at home could _not_ have ns.newzletter.com
in their cache, since it has always existed.

And moreover, NS.newzletter.com (205.210.79.193) does not exist so the
entire system should fail over to rockwell.canlink.com (216.13.90.50).
And moreover^2, it is on my machine at work, where both
ns.newzletter.com and rockwell.canlink.com are returned that a lookup
against dev.newzletter.com works. Here at home, where I am only seeing
rockwell, is where it fails. But rockwell is functional,
ns.newzletter.com is not.

Too much for nothing ... this site is actually being moved but they
wanted it brought back up temporarily ...