root nameserver hardware requirements

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Wed Sep 20 04:43:11 UTC 2000

> some guys here on earth are setting up a set of nameservers to take over
> dns duties for a couple of isps.  they have a few thousand zones each.
> they expect moderate to large growth.
>
> the implementation they finalized on was two cobalt's running linux as
> "the primary" with a hardware frontend load balancer and a netapp
> (shared with other applications) for common access to the zone files.

	Unless they are expecting many thousands of queries per second
	this is over kill, specially for authorative servers.  The main
	requirement is that they have enough real memory to hold all the
	data in memory and have a good I/O path to the net.  Normally
	it is the network that ends up being the limiting factor.  This
	will change w/ DNSSEC which is why it is a good idea to seperate
	the authorive servers from the caching server, the later will
	require more CPU as DNSSEC arrives.

	http://www.isc.org/services/public/F-root-server.html

> this would be a nice point of reference.
> also, if performance is an issue, would it be wise to keep the
> recursive/caching and nonrecursive functions on seperate machines?

	Yes.

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com