PTRs for subdomains?

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Wed Sep 20 09:23:54 UTC 2000

> Hello Joseph,
>=20
> Yes I already have a '167.10.209.in-addr.arpa' and I use only one=20
> IP address
> for all domains and subdomains. In this moment I created an PTR for =
all
> domains, i.e.:
>=20
> File '167.10.209.in-addr.arpa':

Hmm. Have you been delegated the whole 209.10.167.0/.24 address block?
If yes, why do you only have 1 IP address?
If no, this is most likely the wrong zone for you to use, as it would =
belong
to your provider. They will have to delegate you a subdomain of that =
zone
(likely 210/32.167.10.209.in-addr.arpa or similar, naming depends on the =
convention
used by your provider, see RFC2317 for details) and you would put the =
single PTR
record in there.

> 210    PTR    domainA.com
> 210    PTR    domainB.com
> 210    PTR    domainC.com
>=20
> My question is if I need to include the subdomains in this list too, =
like:
>=20
> 210    PTR    subdomainA.com
> 210    PTR    subdomainB.com
> 210    PTR    subdomainC.com
>=20
> But, in my case, I have only have one IP adress, so do I need to setup =
all
> this PTRs or just one is needed to main domain?

You really only *need* one PTR to the canonical name of your server, but
several PTRs pointing to all names of the server are allowed, if not =
understood
by all systems (someone correct me on the details here).