Dynamic DNS problems

Mike Black mblack at csihq.com
Wed Sep 20 16:07:05 UTC 2000

I am running bind-9.0.0 and dhcp-3.0b2pl4 on Linux and got dynamic DNS
working.
However, I'm having problems migrating to dynamic vs static addresses.

I current have all my DHCP addresses in an include file and have
experimented with a few hosts.

Keep an IN A record causes a "record exists" message.

Removing the host from the DHCP static address has to wait for the dhcp
renewal to occur.
Meanwhile, the host can't send email because reverse lookup won't work.
Once the renewal occurs it gets updated OK.

Then, I found out that once a good dynamic address was inserted, I updated
the serial# on my named.conf and named refused to load the journal claiming
that it was "out of sync".

#1 - Is there way to code these IP addresses in the forward and reverse
lookup files to tell named they can be dynamically updated?
#2 - Is there a way to dump the journal file to a forward/reverse lookup
file that can be "re-fed" into named?  Since the journal is binary the only
choice you have if it is wrong is to delete it.
Michael D. Black   Principal Engineer
mblack at csihq.com  321-676-2923,x203
http://www.csihq.com  Computer Science Innovations
http://www.csihq.com/~mike  My home page