Setting up Split-DNS on same host

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Sep 21 15:53:22 UTC 2000

    Gerry> This is for a multi-homed host, with one port on the
    Gerry> external network I have tried to use the "listen on"
    Gerry> directive for the different "zones" but I get syntax errors
    Gerry> for the "listen-on" command regardless of how I format it.

Did you check the syntax for named.conf? The listen-on clause goes in
the options{} statement, not a zone{} statement. To do split DNS in
one server, you need two named.conf files - one for the name server
for the outside and another for the internal server. Be sure they use
different pid files, control channels, log files and so on as well as
only listening on the internal or external interface as appropriate.