Nat environment

Ian Carr-de Avelon avelon at emit.pl
Fri Sep 22 07:49:59 UTC 2000

This is not really directly related to BIND, but here goes.
>at first i want to apologise for my bad english. i hope you will
>undrestand me.
I hope you can understand me too. Usually it is easier for a native speaker
to understand a foriegner than the reverse.

>we are ussing bind 8.2.2-p5. We must change the ip of our name
>server. there are over 1500 Microsoft Pcs on the network using this
>dns server. We are looking for a way to make this change tranparent to the
>users.
>
>Exaple :
>Old ip address of the dns server:10.0.1.2
>New ip address of the dns server:192.168.1.3
Are you using 192.168  and 10.0 because this is an example, or you are really
making this change? Why are you making this change? I assume because 10.0.1.2
has to be freed for other uses (if not keep it as an IP alias on the DNS server
until all the Microsoft Pcs have had to be reintalled from CD, with the new
address) If it has a new use, how will those 1500 Microsoft Pcs access it if
you NAT that IP to 192.168.1.3? If the change is really because you are changing
provider and giving IPs back, maybe in 5 years nobody can access an important
site from your company and nobody can find out why! A better bet would be to
route all DNS requests from those PCs to your DNS server. There is no reason
for them to use any other DNS server.
Yours
Ian