dns confusion, a couple of questions

Scott Howell showell at n3byy.yi.org
Sat Sep 23 11:59:18 UTC 2000

I've been rtfming away, but I was wondering if someone would mind if I
could ask a question or two.

If this is the wrong E-mail list, please accept my appology, but I am
kinda getting desparate.

I thought I had everything correct, but seems I am possibly missing
something and I also have a problem with my localhost, but everything
look s to be in order.
.

I am reading the "DNS and Bind - 3rd edition" Oreilly and Associates.

I understand the file structures, but here's the problem.

I have a domain which I registered, lrxms.net.

I have named running on my server which is named n3byy.yi.org
currently, but I'll be be renaming it to lrxms.net once everything with
dns is in place.
I was told that after pointing the domain which I registered to my ip of
216.254.20.117, I have to go to nsi.com/catalog to register my host name.

I assumed the host name is lrxms.net, but the gent at Speakeasy who said
they'd setup the reverse stated that normally you'd point to dns.lrxms.net
or something along those lines.

So, do I setup a canonical name for lrxms.net as dns.lrxms.net or alias
instead?

Also, if I run nslookup localhost I get an error:

> localhost
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

*** localhost can't find localhost: Non-existent host/domain

The db file for 127.0.0 is as follows:

;; zone file for lrxms.net
;
@ SOA lrxms.net.  hostmaster.lrxms.net. (
2000092203 ; serial,today's date + today's serial
10800 ;refresh 3 hours
3600  ; retry 1 hour
604800  ; expire 1 week
86400 ) ;minimum TTL 1 day
;
 IN NS   lrxms.net. ; init address of name server

1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.  IN   PTR   localhost.

I feel like I'm missing something here.
Any help would be most greatfully appreciated.
I would be happy to call someone if it would make this easier.

If I should provide more information, please let me know. I didn't want ot
send a monster msg to the list.

Thanks very much.

Btw, the db.127.0.0 file I inserted above looks similar to the
db.216.254.20.117 file.

---
Listar v1.0.0 - job execution complete.