Bind 9.0.0 on Windows platforms..

David R. Conrad david.conrad at nominum.com
Sat Sep 23 18:39:44 UTC 2000

Danny,

>If it IS going to be released, why bother with 9.0.0?

BIND version 9 is where we're going to be applying most of our
resources.  We will continue to maintain BIND version 8 by providing bug
fix releases.  We may be cutting one more feature release of BINDv8 to make
v8 work a bit better with v9 and (re-)mainlining the win32 code, but no
date has been set yet.

On the topic of the win32 code in the mainline, we got burnt pretty badly
with the BIND 8.2 NT release.  Since the NT port was included in the
mainline, people (justifiably) assumed it was as fully supported as the
Unix ports were.  Unfortunately, we didn't (and don't) have folks here who
speak win32 fluently so when bug reports came in, we weren't able to do
much with them.  Obviously, this is not a good position for us to be in, so
we decided to move the NT port over to contrib for the upcoming 8.2.3
release, possibly reintegrating the NT port into the mainline when we get
somebody here who can help us support it (anybody want a job?).

As for 8.2.3, right now, we're waiting on some fixes for the IPv6 port from
the KAME folks.  When that gets integrated in, we'll be cutting 8.2.3-T7B,
hoping to cut 8.2.3 final soon after.

Hope this clears up any confusion...

Rgds,
-drc